Chronic Pain Solution
Every morning , more than 116 million Americans wake up to another day in pain. If you are one of them, you know the way chronic pain can take over your life: the lost work and missed pleasures, the harsh drugs or surgeries, the feelings of anger and frustration, the endless search from doctor to doctor. It doesn’t have to be that way.
Recent research has shown that the solution to the puzzle of pain is almost never one “magic bullet” treatment. What works is a combination of therapies–often three or more–customized to your individual needs. Some drugs or surgeries can actually make your condition worse, while surprisingly gentle alternative therapies can provide measurable, lasting relief. The key is knowing how to combine the best of both conventional and alternative medicine.
- fascinating new information on how pain affects your body and mind– including six myths that can keep you from healing
- a detailed guide to more than 40 treatment methods, from state-of-the-art microsurgery and pharmaceuticals to acupuncture, yoga, and biofeedback
- individual chapters on the 12 most common types of pain, from arthritis and back pain to fibromyalgia and migraines–clearly indicating what works and what to avoid
- The Pain-Control Diet–and 20 top supplements for pain relief
- how to build your pain-management team and get what you need from your insurance company
- checklists, self-evaluations, and guides for tracking treatment
- special chapters on children, seniors, pregnant women, terminal pain–plus how you can help a loved one in pain
“A superb book! At once medically precise and warmly accessible, The Chronic Pain Solution wages a successful frontal assault on pain, perhaps the greatest obstacle to wellness in our society. A must read for patients–and their doctors.” –Mehmet Oz, M.D., Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center, author of Healing from the Heart
“A fine, useful, and highly readable guide to the important field of integrative pain treatment.” —James S. Gordon, M.D., Director, the Center for Mind-Body Medicine; author of Manifesto for a New Medicine
“The best book I’ve ever read on how to approach and relieve chronic pain. I highly recommend this wise and practical book to the millions who live with pain.” —Christiane Northrup, M.D.,author of Women’s Bodies, Women’s Wisdom and The Wisdom of Menopause